Sunday, September 12, 2010

A border by any other name...


I am about 14 days (and counting) away from my move. Words can’t express how excited I am. I can’t wait to immerse myself into the experience that is Espana.

Now that a lot of my friends and family know about my upcoming move, I find myself having a greater dialogue about the African diaspora in Spain.

The more I talk about it, the more I can’t help but realize the similarities between African immigration in Spain and Mexican immigration in the United States.
Being that I have lived in South Texas for my entire life, I’ve had a first hand look at the illegal immigration issue between Mexico and the United States. In 2006, the United States’ government approved The Secure Fence Act which allowed the construction of a 700 mile fence between the United States and Mexico (Martinez, 2010;Office of the United States Press Secretary, 2006). Just one year earlier the Spanish government announced that they would be building a third fence in the Spanish territories of Ceuta and Melilla on the border of Morocco (Dago, 2005).

Essentially, the purpose of both fences is to keep out the millions of individuals who attempt to enter into these perspective countries each year despite the long trek through extreme desert temperatures and the imminent possibility of death. For the thousands who are able to battle the elements, each country holds a promise of wealth and opportunity that is currently lacking in areas of both Africa and South America.

I recently went back and read some of the stories of African immigrants within Spain that I had come across when I first wrote about this issue. One of the things that really stayed with me was a story about a man named Moussa who had been trying for years to enter into Spain illegally (Winter, 2005). It was interesting to me how this man kept describing Europe as if it were one step away from heaven. He and many of the soon-to-be illegal immigrants in his camp nicknamed the country “Eldorado” (Winter, 2005). To some, it would be understandable why Moussa would feel this way after reading his account of being eaten by fleas and living in unsanitary conditions. In fact, his view of Spain is no different than many of the individuals who enter into the United States from Mexico in search of the “American Dream.”

Yet, (and I might add) ironically, the conditions African illegal immigrants face (much like Latin American illegal immigrants in the U.S.) are as ficitional as the legend of “Eldorado.” Once they enter into each perspective country, the promise of wealth quickly diminishes and the legend becomes a bad story being told over and over again.

Statistically speaking, it’s nearly impossible for immigrants to find a job, let alone wealth, in their new host country and the chances are even slimmer for those who enter into a country illegally. Add to that, the sheer prejudices and retaliation associated with illegal immigration within the United States and Spain. Yet, many (as did the man who was interviewed) still thought it was worth it.

I think the thing that I can’t get passed in reading all of this is why “a wall” is always the answer? For centuries man has built walls to keep neighboring countries out (i.e. The Great Wall of China, The Berlin Wall, etc.). Ironically the United States and Spain have been instrumental in rallying the tearing down of other walls but continue to build their own.

Of course I understand the fear of the unknown and the inherent human need to seek safety. Who can forget this in a time when extremists are ending lives with the press of a button. The only thing more extreme than this, in my mind, is that as a compromise for our safety we have to ignore the fact that the majority of the individuals making this trek just want to feed their families.

No, I’m not saying that it is each perspective countries’ job to take on all the issues of another country. Nor am I saying that it is okay for people to break the law and enter into a country illegal when there are protocols in place to help them arrive legally.
What I am saying is, how can we as humans actively ignore the fact that these people are risking their lives to follow a dream we dangle in their faces?
I am also not saying that these walls are wrong or right. In all honesty, I haven’t set foot in Spain and it would be socially irresponsible for me to write of their process after reading news commentary but at the heart of me I can’t picture how we got to this point: The point where the only fix is to shut out and not to actively pursue a solution. Why is a wall (or no wall) the on only answer? It is my hope to actively come to an understanding all side of this issue while in Spain.

2 comments:

  1. Mitzi, I am so excited for you! From someone who took French (and a little Spanish later) and studied in Poitiers for 6 months, I still remember the trip there: a total stranger helping a doggedly sick person with way too much luggage find her train and then another assisting with the international phone and calling card...I remember standing at the top of an enormous hill the next morning revering the sight and thinking, "I did it! I'm really here." I wish you the best. I also found the same immigration issues pressing in France. ttyl, Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out this book: Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok

    ReplyDelete